Today Anna and I decided to make homemade playdough. It was a great project for the following reasons:
1) Kept her entertained for more than ten minutes, she's been getting cabin fever for sure
2) Provided a great lesson in counting and measuring
3) Didn't have to go buy anything or spend money
4) Easy to clean because I can just throw it away when we are done
5) Most importantly quality 1x1 time with Mom while Zach, who still recovering from traumatizing shots yesterday, napped; which has been lacking with everything going on lately (pregnancy, surgeries, baby, grandpa...)
We used a combination of several recipes from http://www.playdoughrecipe.com/. Basically I used 1c salt, 2c flour, about 1/4c baking soda, 4tbsp cooking oil and 1c boiling water. I mixed the dry ingredients first and divided into 4 small bowls. Then I added a different color food coloring and 1tbsp oil to each. I then measured about 1/4c boiling water (I actually boiled about 4 cups and just dipped into it w/ measuring cup) to the first bowl and mixed. I did this part one by one so the water was still hot when I added it. The playdough turned out great! Most of the recipes called for Cream of Tartar, which I did not have. We'll try one of those next time and compare.
No comments:
Post a Comment